NPRE 498 ESU (Undergraduate),
NPRE 498 ESG (GRADUATE)
Assignments and Teaching Assistants
Assignments will account for 40 percent of the final grade.
Two midterm tests and one final test are scheduled.
Each will account for 20 percent of the final grade for a total of 60 percent of the final grade.
Assignments, quizzes (unannounced), final project, 40 percent.
Calendar for Spring Semester, 2020
Room 100H Talbot Laboratory
1:00 pm-1:50 pm, MWF
Mon. March 2, during class period.
Mon, April 6,
7:00-10:00 p.m., Wednesday, May 13
|Instruction Begins||Tuesday, January 21|
|M. L. King Day||Monday, January 20 (no classes)|
|Spring Vacation Begins||Saturday, March 14, 1 p.m.|
|Instruction Resumes||Monday, March 23, 7 a.m.|
|Instruction Ends||Wednesday, May 6|
|Reading Day||Thursday, May 7|
|Final Examinations Begin||Friday, May 8|
|Final Examinations End||Friday, May 15|
|Commencement||Saturday, May 16|
ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS
Bridging the Supply-Demand Gap
1. Energy Storage Options
2. Solar Thermal Power and Energy Storage Historical Perspective
3. Thermal Energy Storage
4. Thermal Energy Storage with Solar Power Generation
5. Battery Technology
6. Electric Vehicles Technology
7. Energy Hydrogenation and Decarbonization
8. Steam Reforming
9. Carbon Dioxide Reforming
10. High Temperature Water Electrolysis for Hydrogen Production
11. Thermochemical Iodine Sulfur Process for Hydrogen Production
12. The Hydrogen Economy
13. High Voltage Direct Current Power Transmission
14. Smart Electrical Grid and Metering
15. Hydrogen Storage
16. Metal Hydrides
17. Primary and Secondary Storage Batteries
18. Battery Power Density, Life Cycle and Cost
19. Nickel Cadmium and Lithium Ion Batteries
20. What makes a Sound Utility Storage Battery
21. Redox Flow Batteries and Regenerative Fuel Cells
22. Fuel Cell Kinetics
23. Fuel Cell Modeling
24. Carbon Capture and Storage
25. Societal Implications of Energy Transport and Storage
26. Pumped Energy Storage
27. Pumped Storage in Association with the Red Sea to Dead Sea Peace Canal
28. Pumped Storage Qattara Depression Solar Hydroelectric Power Generation
29. Cryogenic Energy Storage
30. Compressed Air Energy Storage
31. Kinetic Energy Flywheel Energy Storage
32. Sustainable Global Energy, Desertec Concept
33. Electrochemical Supercapacitor
34. Safety Aspects of Thermal Energy Installations
35. Urea Power
36. Fuel Cell Aircraft
37. Metal Hydrides Alloys for Hydrogen Storage
38. Run of River Hydroelectric Power
39. Ultra Capacitors Electrostatic Energy Storage
40. Natural Gas as a Bridge Fuel Toward Renewables
42. Global Climatic Variation and Energy Use
43. Nanopore Multilayer Isotope Batteries
44. Nuclear Battery using Clusters in Nanomaterials
45. Powerwall and Powerpack Tesla Batteries
46. Electrical Generation and Grid System Integration
47. Sustainable Energy and Resource Management
I. Greek Prefixes
III. Conversion Factors and Physical Constants
IV. Carbon Dioxide Emissions
V. Energy Content of Different Fuels
VI. Vector Relations
VII. Greek Alphabet
Student Presentations, Spring 2016
Alex Lopez, "Tesla Batteries," firstname.lastname@example.org, 4/4/2016.
Andrew Groll, "Practical Hydrogen Fuel Development, A non-nuclear feasibility study," email@example.com, 4/8/2016.
Sheel Shah, "Super Capacitors," firstname.lastname@example.org, 4/11/2016.
Bartosz Turek, "Wind Power Intermittency and Energy Storage," email@example.com, 4/15/2016
Raman Aggarval, "Graphene as Energy Storage Medium of the Future," firstname.lastname@example.org, 4/18/2016
Sarika Malani, "Fuel Cell Airplane," email@example.com, 4/20/2016
Dan O'Grady, "Cryogenic Energy Storage," firstname.lastname@example.org, 4/25/2016
Cory Markham, "Advanced Applications of Flywheels," email@example.com, 4/27/2016
Perren Delaney, "Flow Cell Batteries," firstname.lastname@example.org, 4/29/2016
Byron Mui, "Gravitational Potential Energy Storage," email@example.com, 5/2/2016
Student Presentations, Fall 2014
Daniel Gardner-Dale, "Ultra Capacitors for Energy Storage"
Daniel Schultz, "Conventional and Advanced Flywheel Energy Storage"
Peter Ota, "Sulfur Based Thermochemica Process for Hydrogen Production"
Rubens B. Filho, "Decentralized Energy Production in Rural Areas"
Abbijit Limaye, " How 'Tesla' developed its Electrical Vehicle (EV) Car"
Joseph Flanagan, "Electric Vehicle Integration in the Grid System"
Daniel Li, "Production of hydrocarbons from Carbon Dioxide"
Thomaz Perilli, "Cryogenic Energy Storage"
Matthew Baxley, "Advances in Metal Hydrides for Energy Storage"
Nicholas Rivera, "Micro-grids for Distributed Power Generation in Developing Countries"
Melixa Rivera-Sustache, "Lead-Acid Battery 'Regeneration' with Life Cells to Improve Energy Storage and Waste Reduction"
Garrett Gusloff, "Metal Air Batteries"
Brenden Yung, "Nano-fluidic Fuel Cells"
Christian Zircher, "Current and Upcoming Battery Technology"
Miao Lu, "The Use of Energy Storage Systems in Electrical Resource Planning"
Gabriel Fraga, "Aluminum Utilization for Hydrogen Production"
Chris Kuprianczyk, "Seasonal Thermal Energy Storage"
Student Presentations, Fall 2012
Louis Chapdelaine, "Energy Storage in Vehicular Applications"
Piyum Zonnoz, "Urban Energy Generation and Storage"
Muyun Cai, "A Comparison Study on Natural Gas Engine and Gasoline Engine"
John Seo, "Stirling Engines"
Jonathan Pfingsten, "Algae Growth for Biodiesel Production"
Monish Singh, "The Smart Electrical Grid"
Rui Lin Tan, "Nuclear Power in Your Car. Radioisotopic Thermoelectric Generators"
Student Presentations, Fall 2011
Stephen Prtty, "Flow Batteries for Energy Storage"
Vikram Vilasur Swaminathan, "Metal Hydrides"
Rabie Abu Salem, "Wind Power Energy Storage"
Aris Dumbris, "Viability of Waste Utilization for Algae Production"
Saurav Mohapatra, "Grid Scale Energy Storage"
Anjes Najar, "Electric Vehicle Conversion"
Zach Shukur, "Managing Carbon Emissions"
Imran Haddish, "Liquid Organic Hydrogen Carrier Distribution Network"
Ron Orndorf, "Algae Farming"
Marta Baginska, "Metal Air Batteries"
Kashif Nawaz, "Energy Transport Compounds"
Student Presentations, Fall 2010
Gilbert Stungard, "Urea as an Energy Carrier"
Christopher Reed, "Flywheel Energy Storage"
Tapan Patel, "Laminar Flow Fuel Cells"
Beth Papanek, "Alcohol for Fuel"
Liang Meng, "Solar Photovoltaic with Energy Storage"
Bing Guo, "Advanced Biofuels"
Vishal Nandigana, "Nanofluidic Fuel Cells"
Constantinos Mitsingas, "Fischer Tropsch Process"
Jason Peck, "Sulfur Iodine Reaction for Hydrogen Production"
Ryan Switts, "Three Gorges Hydroelectric Dam"
Chris Crone, "Salt Gradient Solar Pond"
James Babiarz, "Factors and Feasibility of Energy Plan"
Michael Rybalko, "Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine with Electrolyser for Hydrogen Energy Storage"
Related Courses Information
Wind Power Systems
NPRE402/ME405 Nuclear Power Engineering
NPRE457/CSE462 Safety Analysis of Nuclear Reactor Systems
NPRE490MC(NPRE456/CSE416) Monte Carlo Simulations
NPRE590SF Nuclear and Radiological Safety
NPRE459/CSE417 Fuzzy Logic and its Applications
World Wide Web Links
Please contact Prof. M. Ragheb as a Webmaster at: (217)333-6569 with any feedback concerning this page. /
Last update for this page was on 4/3/2020.